Confession: for nearly a decade I’ve been wearing nothing but skinny jeans.
They’re flattering, make my legs look long, and every top looks good with them. What’s not to love? I remember my first pair after the bootcut trend in middle school – it was amazing. I had found the perfect pants for me.
Every now and then I would try on flares but they never looked good. Then the boyfriend jean and the chic joggers came along. I began to admire them on other people, but could never find flattering ones for me. Every boyfriend jean I tried on was too baggy and I looked like a kid playing dress-up. All the joggers would gape out too much at the waist and I’d look a few months pregnant, so it was back to my beloved skinny jeans.
Earlier this year I decided to step out of my comfort zone and not give up on my search to find flattering loose pants. Finally finding the perfect pair of boyfriend jeans gave me faith that I too can wear comfortable, loose, and chic pants. They aren’t easy to find, but they exist. It took a little while getting used to the new silhouette after so many years of skinny, and I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s been in that situation.
Here are my second pair of loose pants, these printed chiffon joggers that are SO comfy. Also a little guide on how to start wearing loose pants for anyone who’s finally ready to give their skinnies a break (not that we still don’t love them).
How To Wear Loose Pants
- Find a flattering, high-waisted pair that will elongate your legs and accentuate your waist.
- Make sure they’re just a little bit loose so they don’t look too baggy on you. If you can’t find ones that are specifically petite look for ones with a relaxed, slouchy, slim boyfriend or girlfriend fit (this means they will be cut slimmer).
- If you’re getting joggers avoid ones with full elastic waistbands. You’ll probably get the pregnant look I mentioned above. The ones I’m wearing in the photos only have elastic in the back. The front has a regular waistband with a button, so they lie smooth on my stomach.
- Wear them with a fitted top to balance out the volume. I chose my lace-up bodysuit because the deep v-neck also adds length.
- If you’re still not feeling it you can always wear heels to give yourself height, but if you’re wearing the right pair you should feel good even in sneakers.
- Enjoy them! They might feel strange at first, but I’m sure you’ll love how comfortable they are. Even if you have a pair of skinny jeans that are buttery soft, your loose pants will feel like pyjamas (boyfriend jeans included). It’s a great feeling to have pants that just brush against your skin instead of clinging to it.
BODYSUIT: ALIEXPRESS | PANTS: SANDWICH | SHOES: H&M | SUNGLASSES: POLETTE