Hey guys! Yesterday I celebrated my 23rd birthday. It was nothing too crazy – in fact, it was probably the most chill birthday I’ve ever had. Kirill and I both got the day off work, which was great because I’ve had to work on my birthday for the past few years. We went to a Himalayan salt cave to relax, had lunch at a cute vegan cafe, and my mom joined us for cheesecake in the evening.
I wanted to share 23 facts about myself because I love reading these posts on other blogs. Often we only write about what we’re wearing, which of course is interesting, but sometimes it’s nice to dig a little deeper. I did a Q&A post not too long ago so I’ll try not to be too repetitive!
- No, I’m not Latina even though I look it and my name is Maria.
- I’m Russian/Nepalese, which creates a Latina look I guess!
- However, I have been trying to learn Spanish. Partly because people expect me to speak it, partly because I love learning languages. My trip to Barcelona really motivated me to start learning. I’m just using an app right now so if any of you Spanish speakers want to practice with me I’d be really happy!
- I also speak French and Russian, and now I’ll stop with the whole languages thing. I do think they are the best way (apart from actually travelling) to learn about another culture because each language has its own unique structure and there are always words and phrases that you can’t translate.
- I’ve seen more of France than I have of any other country. I’ve been to Paris, Nice, Cannes, Menton, Toulouse, Perpignan and seaside towns in the area, and Strasbourg. I went on a road trip from Paris to Perpignan and have taken the train from Paris to Nice so I’ve literally been through almost the entire country. Funnily enough I’ve never actually lived in France!
- I haven’t travelled much around North America except for work trips and places around Vancouver that are driving distance (that includes Washington and Oregon in the US). When I travel I like to get far away from North American culture. I like taking a break from hearing and seeing (signs, etc) English all the time and seeing very old and historical buildings. However, I would love to go to California and NYC!
- My favourite mode of transportation is walking and I try to walk wherever I can. Even though it’s the slowest, I like using my legs and I like that I have the ability to easily stop whenever I want. I also trust my own body more than any machine!
- I would describe myself as an extroverted introvert. If I know you/feel comfortable around you I can talk a lot and even be loud but if we’re strangers I’ll be quiet and shy. I do love going out with friends but I equally love cuddling in bed and watching TV.
- Speaking of going out, I’m not really into clubbing. I’ll go to specific events if they interest me but otherwise I’d rather just hang out and talk with friends at a bar or restaurant.
- I prefer spending time with people one-on-one or in a small group. If there are more than four people I feel like it’s too much of a battle to speak.
- When it comes to music, the voice and lyrics are important to me. My favourite genre is alt/indie rock but I’ll listen to something else if I really like the singer’s voice and words. For example I don’t really listen to R&B or jazz but I love Amy Winehouse because she had an amazing voice and her lyrics were clever.
- I don’t trust people that say they like any kind of music. I mean, really? So if I made a mix with classical, country, rap, heavy metal, pop, opera, house, and reggae on it you would like every single song?
- I also don’t trust girls that say they feel more comfortable in heels than they do in flats. Yeah I know comfortable heels exist but let’s be honest, they will never be as comfortable as flats!
- Although I love having a dog, I don’t consider Lady to be my child and I find it awkward when people refer to me as her mom. After babysitting my niece, I can safely say that taking care of a dog is nothing compared to taking care of an actual baby.
- I don’t like wearing clothes that are too girly or feminine because I have a baby face and I feel they make me even younger.
- That being said, when people guess my age they either think I’m several years younger or older than I actually am. Some people have thought I’m in my late 20s because they say I act more mature for my age.
- I still love watching cartoons, going on rides and I don’t even mind playing the odd video game.
- There are certain activities I prefer doing alone, like shopping or visiting museums. I like being able to do them at my own pace.
- Rock climbing is my favourite sport (and pretty much the only one I actually like haha). I’ve been doing it since I was 15!
- I also do yoga every morning because it helps me wake up and I feel amazing after stretching out.
- I generally don’t drink coffee – I’ll have a latte every once in a while if I’m having coffee with someone but otherwise I drink tea in the morning.
- I have to have breakfast and have no idea how some people skip it all the time. I’m always hungry when I wake up!
- Before starting Looking Glass, I attempted blogging a few times before. They never stuck around though because I didn’t have enough aim or motivation. I’m really glad I stuck to this blog though!
Thanks for reading and hope you enjoyed learning a bit more about me 🙂